Saturday, August 1, 2015

Old family drink. Looking for possible twists or ways to improve.

So a bit of back story, growing up the adults in my family would always make joking references to a mythical drink called "Lithuanian Holy Water" which they would celebrate weddings and big holidays with, but apparently the recipe had been lost over the years. Then a few years back, my mom stumbled upon this card stuck in a cookbook, and with the recipe recovered the tradition came back. My mom made up a batch for family wedding and I've made a few batches since then.The recipe we found wasn't very exact so after tweaking the ratios a bit the most recent batch, which turned out pretty well, consisted of:8 oz honey2 tsp. cardaway seeds2 cinnamon sticks1 orange - sliced up1 jar of Tillen Farms Bada Bing cherries1.0 liter of rye whiskey (I used Bulleit)Heat up everything except the whiskey, add it to a big glass container, dump in the whiskey, stir it all up and stick it in the fridge for a few weeks, stirring when I remember.Typically we've served it as a shot, but it can be sipped as well. It tastes a bit like a mix between an old fashion and a cinnamon whiskey drink (think fireball). We have a wedding coming up in a few months and I think it might be fun to change it up a bit and give it it's own unique spin, so I'm curious to get /r/cocktails thoughts on what you might do to tweak the original recipe to give it new life. http://www.reddit.com/r/cocktails/comments/3fgxss/old_family_drink_looking_for_possible_twists_or/

No comments:

Post a Comment