Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Can I get some bitters buying advice?

http://ift.tt/eA8V8J Had to liquidate my admittedly small bar collection when I last moved. While I do love drinking my bourbon by itself and with a little ice, I do want to get back into making some basic cocktails at home (usually old fashioneds or manhattans)Can I get some advice on the first 2-3 bottles of bitters I should own?Should I start with Angostura and Peychauds, the workhorses of the bitters world? They're about $10-11/ea for 4 oz on amazon.I'd like orange bitters. Should I get Angostura's? ($13 for 4oz). Or Regans, or something else?Vanilla bitters, sounds interesting for an old fashioned. Recommendations? What's your #1 other flavor?Other recommendations? Should I stock out flavors with Fee Brothers, or go a bit upmarket?In the past, I've enjoyed making old fashioneds (sometimes variations with raw sugar simple syrup or honey syrup) and manhattans (again, sometimes variations with a small amount of honey syrup)Thanks!

Had to liquidate my admittedly small bar collection when I last moved. While I do love drinking my bourbon by itself and with a little ice, I do want to get back into making some basic cocktails at home (usually old fashioneds or manhattans)

Can I get some advice on the first 2-3 bottles of bitters I should own?

  • Should I start with Angostura and Peychauds, the workhorses of the bitters world? They're about $10-11/ea for 4 oz on amazon.

  • I'd like orange bitters. Should I get Angostura's? ($13 for 4oz). Or Regans, or something else?

  • Vanilla bitters, sounds interesting for an old fashioned. Recommendations? What's your #1 other flavor?

  • Other recommendations? Should I stock out flavors with Fee Brothers, or go a bit upmarket?

In the past, I've enjoyed making old fashioneds (sometimes variations with raw sugar simple syrup or honey syrup) and manhattans (again, sometimes variations with a small amount of honey syrup)

Thanks!



Submitted July 14, 2015 at 02:10PM by Reddit-Hivemind

No comments:

Post a Comment