Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Learning to taste cocktails

http://ift.tt/eA8V8J Hey folks,Brand-new to reddit, a friend said you'd be an excellent way to learn more: I'd like to improve my palette and learn more about identifying issues and balance in cocktails. Wondering if you have any tips?I love my wine and over the years have managed to develop quite a good understanding of it. Obviously with anything I need to practise, practise, practise, but: how can I make that practise a bit smarter?For instance, something I recently learned that helped a lot with wine was vertical tastings (I think that's what it's called!), taking a few very similar wines (i.e. same vineyard, different vintage) and tasting for the subtle differences between them. So I'm planning to experiment at home with drinks made the same and just adjust one or two ingredients.I'll also be getting to grips with all the raw ingredients, I'm still not very good at detecting nuance in spirits.Any other ideas? What helped you really master a particular drink or spirit?

Hey folks,

Brand-new to reddit, a friend said you'd be an excellent way to learn more: I'd like to improve my palette and learn more about identifying issues and balance in cocktails. Wondering if you have any tips?

I love my wine and over the years have managed to develop quite a good understanding of it. Obviously with anything I need to practise, practise, practise, but: how can I make that practise a bit smarter?

For instance, something I recently learned that helped a lot with wine was vertical tastings (I think that's what it's called!), taking a few very similar wines (i.e. same vineyard, different vintage) and tasting for the subtle differences between them. So I'm planning to experiment at home with drinks made the same and just adjust one or two ingredients.

I'll also be getting to grips with all the raw ingredients, I'm still not very good at detecting nuance in spirits.

Any other ideas? What helped you really master a particular drink or spirit?



Submitted July 15, 2015 at 05:57AM by tastecocktails

No comments:

Post a Comment