Monday, August 31, 2015

2 Days ago I asked for help fine tuning a Fernet based cocktail. Wanted to share what I ended up coming up with.

So those of you who are avid readers of the sub might remember I asked a couple days ago for help fine tuning a fernet cocktail. I tried a ton of different ratios until I got drunk and almost called it quits but the following day with a clear mind I realized what I had to do.I live in Argentina and Fernet here is HUGE. Really, can't stress it enough, it rivals wine and beer as the most consumed alcoholic drink. We drink it with coke, so I wanted to replicate that for a friend who really likes it like that but in a cocktail.Introducing El Capitán:-1 1/2 oz Fernet-1 oz Vermouth (I used Carpano)-1/2 oz coca cola syrup (to do it, blend equal parts of coca cola and sugar on a blender. simmering it on a pan obliterates anything remotely resembling coke taste).Garnish with a sprig of mint. It was a huge hit on the birthday celebration. The chocolate tones of the carpano REALLY came through. I know 1 1/2 oz of Fernet may seem like a lot but the syrup is so rich it really counters it. It even comes out with the typical foam!Finally, I know some people may think using coca cola on craft cocktails might be sacrilige but this one had a huge sociological burden behind it and it's always fun to experiment and challenging to use elements you'd usually look down on.Cheers and thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment