Friday, July 17, 2015

Let's talk tonic.

http://ifttt.com/images/no_image_card.png

I'm on the quest for the perfect tonic - I started easy, with a bottle of Q tonic water, and the obsession began. I just can't look at those cans of Schweppes the same way now - too sweet, too fake. They'll do in a pinch, but they're definitely low on my priority list.

I moved onto a smaller boutique tonic, Jack's Tonique, which was a disappointment. I wasn't a huge fan of the flavour profile, though it seems to be a huge hit with others.

Fentimans was next on my list, but also disappointed - it had an acrid quality that tended to drown out the flavour of the tonic.

From there I ventured over to Fever Tree's line. Their original Tonic Water was a huge crowd pleaser - combined with Victoria gin and fresh squeezed meyer lemon juice, everyone at our last gin tasting got a bit trashed on this tasty mix. It complemented the gin perfectly, not overwhelming, but still present.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Naturally Light tonic, it had a bitter undertaste that didn't sit well with me. Then I tried their Mediterranean tonic. It's perfect. Holy crap. Hands down the best tonic I've yet to try! A bit more floral than the original, it has a unique profile that manages to be present without making the gin play second fiddle.

Second runner up to the Fever Tree Mediterranean has to be the small batch tonic from Split Tree Cocktail Co, a relatively new company. A syrup like the Jack's, this one has an amazing flavour profile. Not too sweet, not too bitter, with a depth and complexity that mixes JUST right with my current favourite Ungava gin and a squeeze of fresh citrus juice. It goes particularly nicely with a bit of grapefruit juice!

Any other recommendations for tonics to keep an eye out for?



Submitted July 17, 2015 at 09:33AM by phedre http://www.reddit.com/r/cocktails/comments/3dn1w7/lets_talk_tonic/

No comments:

Post a Comment